TRUMPF Photonics Celebrates 10th Anniversary
During this event, the fabrication equipment machine tool builder displays a state-of-the-art plant that produces high power diode laser pump sources, optical coatings, component assembly for CO2 and solid-state lasers and beam delivery systems, and high power solid-state RF generators.
The rain and clouds outside did not dampen the festivities taking place inside the Cranbury, NJ, production facility of TRUMPF Photonics, Inc., which celebrated its 10th anniversary on Friday, September 28, 2012. The plant develops and manufactures high-tech components used in TRUMPF lasers worldwide.
Ceremonies opened with comments from Burke Doar, the vice president of sales and marketing for TRUMPF Inc. (Farmington, CT), the largest subsidiary within the TRUMPF Group with $650 million in sales and service of fabricating machinery, OEM lasers, laser marking, electronics and medical technology in North America.
This was followed by an enlightening presentation from Peter Leibinger, the vice chairman of TRUMPF GmbH + Co. KG (Ditzingen, Germany) and president of its Laser Technology and Electronics Divisions. He reviewed the company’s legacy in industrial laser technology, which began with its first combination punching and laser cutting machine in 1979 and was followed by its debut as a manufacturer of lasers with its first CO2 laser in 1985.
Leibinger recalled how the company wanted to strengthen its competitive advantage by being able to produce its own laser diodes, so in 2002 it acquired semiconductor and wafer production expertise through its purchase of the business in Cranbury formerly known as Princeton Lightwave Inc. (PLI). Renamed Photonics, the plant now specializes in developing and manufacturing high-tech components for TRUMPF lasers across the globe, including the production of high power diode laser pump sources, many of which are used on the TruDisk lasers produced at the company’s North American headquarters in Farmington.
In fact, 50 percent of all TruDisk lasers are built in Farmington and serve as the laser source for the TruLaser 1030 fiber 2D laser cutting machines that are manufactured in the U.S. for international purchase. The Cranbury plant also supplies the pump diodes for TruMicro lasers, optical coating and component assembly for CO2 and solid-state lasers and beam delivery systems as well as high power solid-state RF generators found in all TruLaser machines.
In 2011, under the direction of its managing director, Dr. Georg Treusch, Photonics delivered more than 10 MW of diode laser power to become the largest high power bar based semiconductor laser manufacturer in the world. “Over the past ten years we have focused on building this facility into a superior production center for optics and photonics, ensuring a level of vertical integration that is unmatched by any other semiconductor laser manufacturer and which our company believes is crucial to building the best lasers for manufacturing,” explained Dr. Treusch.
A tour of the facility placed an exclamation point on these remarks, as visitors separated into four groups and journeyed through the 51,400 sq ft state-of-the-art production plant to witness lean manufacturing practiced by approximately 140 employees inside Class 100-1000 clean rooms and laboratories. There are 29 employees solely dedicated to research and development.
Pages: 1 2