Highly Versatile Aluminum MIG Welder and More
The Millermatic® 350P Aluminum MIG welder from Miller Electric is the first dedicated aluminum welding power source with a true torque push-pull design, electronic wire spool brake, Trigger Schedule Select and synergic capabilities in both MIG and Pulsed MIG weld settings.
Miller Electric Mfg. Co. (Appleton, WI) offers the Millermatic® 350P Aluminum MIG welder, the first dedicated aluminum welding power source with a true torque push-pull design, electronic wire spool brake, Trigger Schedule Select and synergic capabilities in both MIG and Pulsed MIG weld settings. This makes it one of the most versatile products for welding aluminum by giving the operator the ability to tailor the arc to the weld by adjusting machine performance at the point-of-use — eliminating trips back and forth to the machine and concerns over wire feed consistency.
Consistent aluminum wire delivery is the core feature of the Millermatic 350P Aluminum thanks to the enhanced wire delivery design. The torque motor and the electronic brake work together to provide hours of continuous and productive wire delivery. The true torque push-pull feed motor provides positive and accurate wire feeding between the torque motor and gun, and the electronic brake allows the wire spool to “free spool” to provide drag-free wire delivery. The all-in-one Millermatic 350P Aluminum’s programs, speed, wire feed consistency and flexibility are perfect for builders of aluminum watercraft, trucks, trailers, aluminum signs and others products.
“We recognized that people making a living welding aluminum wanted more consistent wire feeding and more productivity,” said Chris Roehl, a product manager with Miller Electric. “The true torque drive motor delivers a continuous push while the gun controls the speed, providing accurate and trouble-free feeding. Welding aluminum requires the ability to have exacting control over your arc to adjust to changing joint profiles and positions, and this system provides that.”
The machine is equipped with easy-to-use operator controls, including the “Trigger Schedule Select,” which permits the user to pre-program two weld settings that they can quickly toggle between. This allows for quick changes between weld settings or from Pulsed MIG to MIG welding. This also prevents costly stop-and-go welding — just select the preset setting and keep welding.
Overview of the Millermatic 350P Aluminum All-in-One MIG welder, the first single– or three-phase power Millermatic that’s optimized to weld aluminum. Perfect for fabrication, manufacturing, maintenance and repair — this new system relies on a new true torque feed motor push-pull design for excellent wire feeding, and synergic “one-knob” controls in both MIG and Pulsed MIG process for simpler operation.
The Trigger Hold feature is like cruise control for the welder. Simply press the trigger down and after a few seconds the gun holds, giving the welder better comfort while working on long weldments. The wire jog feature is a convenient and safe way for the operator to feed wire at the machine without energizing the weld output.
The 350P provides superior aluminum performance when matched with the XR™-Aluma-Pro, or the XR™ AlumaPro Lite or XR™ Pistol Pro air-cooled push-pull guns. The Millermatic 350P Aluminum’s Hot Start™ eliminates fusion issues by ensuring correct heat from the beginning of the weld. Sharparc® gives control of the arc cone shape, puddle fluidity and bead profile while in the Pulsed MIG mode.
Other features of the Millermatic 350P include:
- Six aluminum-dedicated pulse programs, including settings for .040 wire.
- Jog and purge: allows operator to jog wire or purge gas and preset gas pressure at the regulator before welding.
- Retains Auto Gun Detect feature: direct connection for Miller 10-pin XR-Aluma-Pro™ and XR™ Pistol Grip air-cooled push-pull guns. Pull the trigger and the machine automatically detects the gun.
- The Millermatic 350P Aluminum continues the efficient Fan-On-Demand™ feature. The fan operates when needed, reducing power consumption.
Miller Electric also has enhanced select models in the XMT® WCC (Weld Cable Control) multiprocess welder lineup to improve productivity, quality and safety by reducing trips to the power source to adjust welding parameters and making process selections.
The improvement to the WCC system in both the XMT 350 WCC and the XMT 450 WCC allows the feeder to recognize polarity and send a message via the weld cable to the power supply, which automatically selects the appropriate wire process (GMAW/FCAW) based on the connection. This reduces the need for welding operators to leave the work area to change wire processes and helps improve quality control by ensuring correct process selection for the job to be done.
“This innovative technology allows operators to have more control at the feeder, so they don’t have to take that walk,” said Ken Stanzel, a product manager with Miller Electric. “They can spend more time welding and less time moving around the jobsite, which improves productivity, quality and safety.” Welding operators also can change output voltage at the point of use on a jobsite with the XMT 350 WCC and the XMT 450 WCC, another feature that reduces trips to the power source.
The WCC system uses the existing weld cable to communicate from the wire feeder to the XMT, eliminating the need for control cables to the feeder. This eliminates extra cabling and allows operators to work at maximum efficiency. Previously, welding operators could add WCC capabilities to select XMT Series machines by adding a separate, external WCC control box. Recent enhancements make those WCC capabilities an internal part of the XMT 450, adding to the convenience of the system and reducing clutter on the jobsite. The WCC capabilities were previously integrated into the XMT 350.
“We know welding operators in construction and shipbuilding may be hundreds of feet away from the power source. These enhancements improve safety by reducing opportunities for workers to trip and fall, especially if they have to go up and down ladders,” Stanzel said. “Eliminating control cables to the feeder also makes a difference in safety and reduces costs for cord maintenance and repair.”
A free copy of the WE BUILD™-themed 2014 Full-Line Catalog of welding and cutting products from Miller Electric Mfg. Co. can be requested or downloaded by going to the literature request page via MillerWelds.com, or on a mobile device at MillerWelds.com/mobile.
The catalog highlights available Miller Arc Armor® welding protection and product information on Miller-recommended Hobart® filler metals including tubular, aluminum and solid wires, as well as stick electrodes. “Miller products are designed and built for the talented, hard-working people who use them,” said Rich Thompson, the vice president of marketing, ITW Welding, N.A. “Together, we can build anything.” The catalog showcases “What’s New from Blue,” including:
- Insight Core™ and Insight Centerpoint™, welding information management systems that provide real-time data from the weld cell.
- Dynasty® 280 and Maxstar® 280, TIG/Stick power sources featuring energy-efficient inverter design and Auto-Line™ technology.
- Syncrowave® 210, a TIG/Stick power source that eliminates the guesswork when setting weld parameters.
- Weldcraft® TIG Torches, now branded Miller, a series of air-cooled and water-cooled torches and accessories designed for reliability and versatility in various applications.
- PipeWorx FieldPro™ System, which brings simplified multiprocess welding capabilities to field pipe welding applications.
- Bobcat™ 250 Diesel and Trailblazer® 325 Diesel, engine drives designed for smooth generator and welding performance while taking up less space on the truck.
- Big Blue® 400 Pro, a compact fuel-efficient diesel welder/generator that’s eco-friendly.
- FILTAIR® Capture 5, a fume extraction system that increases the fume capture distance over three times that of conventional technologies.
- New stars and stripes helmet designs and graphics for all welding applications.