Heavy Fabrication and Structural Welding
A review of some of the advanced power sources, quality-tested consumables, integrated solutions and other welding tools that can help industrial and structural fabricators work more effectively, both in the shop and on the jobsite.
Whether it is windtower construction, beam manufacturing or earth moving equipment fabrication, all competitors in these heavy fabrication segments share the need for (1) higher productivity through higher deposition rates, (2) higher productivity by means of achieving lower defect rates and fewer finishing tasks (such as grinding), and (3) better traceability of the welding parameters. Here are some of the advanced power sources, quality-tested consumables, integrated solutions and other welding tools that can help meet these needs.
PUSH-PULL GUN FOR ALUMINUM MIG AND PULSED MIG WELDING IN HEAVY INDUSTRIAL JOBS
Miller Electric Mfg. Co. (Appleton, WI) offers the XR™-Pistol-Pro Gun that is built for aluminum MIG and Pulsed MIG welding in heavy industrial applications such as truck and trailer manufacturing, shipbuilding, emergency and recreational vehicle manufacturing, and general fabrication. Compatible with Miller XR-S/D Control, XR-AlumaFeed™, and Millermatic® 252 and 350P models, the XR-Pistol-Pro Gun is a push-pull gun designed specifically for use with aluminum wire and other soft alloys where wire feeding consistency is critical.
A comparison of guns for various applications, including the XR™-Pistol-Pro that offers consistent wire feeding of a push-pull system for higher amperage applications.
The XR-Pistol-Pro Gun features an improved motor and drive design for better feedability and arc consistency over longer distances that also help reduce downtime and maintenance costs associated with complex drive systems. This gun features more than 20 head tube options (sold separately) in different lengths and bend configurations to ensure optimal welding performance and access for every application. Each head also easily rotates for better access into tight spots and is self-seating, which helps prevent gas leaks and provides excellent current transfer for stable arc performance.
Rated at 100 percent duty cycle at 200 amps with an air-cooled torch and 400 amps with a water-cooled torch, the gun features aluminum-specific tension settings for 4000 and 5000 series aluminum wires to ensure smooth wire feeding performance. The gun also provides easy access to the drive assembly and a removable toolless head tube for easy service and maintenance without having to disassemble the gun.
MULTI-PROCESS EFI ENGINE-DRIVEN WELDER FOR STRUCTURAL FABRICATION
The Lincoln Electric Company (Cleveland, OH) offers the K3928-1 Ranger® 305 G EFI, combining a powerful multi-process engine-driven welder with a Kohler® 25-hp electronic-fuel-injection (EFI) engine. An option to the standard Ranger 305 G with a Kohler carburetor engine, the EFI-engine product provides easier starting in cold weather – no choke to adjust – as compared to the carburetor engine.
An overview of the Ranger 305 G Multiprocess DC Welder/AC Generator featuring Chopper Technology.
Another advantage of the EFI engine over its carburetor counterpart: fuel savings of 12 percent at 300 amps and 30 percent at high idle. Ruggedly built for solid performance, the K3928-1 Ranger 305 G EFI tackles stick, TIG, wire and pipe welding. Key features include:
- Electronic Fuel Injection – The Kohler 25-hp EFI engine delivers easier starts in cold weather and lower fuel use.
- Multi-Process Welding – Excellent DC multi-process welding capability makes it ideal for various processes, including general-purpose stick, downhill pipe (stick), TIG, cored-wire, MIG (CO2 and mixed gas) and arc gouging.
- Digital Weld Meters – This technology simplifies precise preset of procedures and monitoring of actual welding output.
- Superior Arc Performance – Lincoln Chopper Technology provides easy starts, a smooth arc, low spatter and excellent bead appearance.
- High-Watt Generator Power – Its single-phase AC generator provides 12,000 watts peak for motor starting and 9,500 watts of continuous AC power for tools.
Even with its advanced capabilities, the K3928-1 Ranger 305 G EFI remains simple to use, and a flip-down door on its straightforward control panel keeps less frequently used controls out of the way.
The company also offers Lincolnweld® 842-H™, a submerged arc flux designed to meet the specific welding requirements for the offshore construction industry. Key features include:
- Ultra-Low Diffusible Hydrogen – Less than 3 mL/100g of deposited weld metal in DC and AC polarities.
- Consistent Impact Toughness – Impact toughness capable of exceeding CVN values of 160 J (118 ft-lb) at –60 deg C (-76 deg F) in the body and cap pass for consistent CTOD toughness.
- Outstanding Bead Profile – Smooth bead profile with low entry angles especially desirable for cap pass welding in fatigue sensitive applications.
- Excellent AC and DC Operation – High current capacity for single or multiple arc configurations.
- High Operator Appeal – Excellent slag detachment and wash-out.
- Robust Design – Allows for consistent deposit composition in a central recovery system.
This neutral welding flux lowers the risk for delayed cracking and is capable of exceeding impact toughness requirements at –60 deg C (-76 deg F) and Crack Tip Open Displacement toughness at –10 deg C (14 deg F).
Lincoln also offers Metalshield® MC®–80Ni1, a premium, low-alloy, metal-cored wire that is designed to produce high strength and toughness and H4 diffusible hydrogen weld deposits required in such applications as structural and heavy fabrication or other high-strength welding applications that require a tensile strength of 550 MPa (80ksi). Key features include:
- H4 diffusible hydrogen levels.
- Low spatter and excellent arc stability.
- Deoxidizing agents to minimize pre– and post-weld clean up.
- Enhanced silicon island management.
- Low temperature impact properties – Charpy V-Notch test results capable of exceeding 40 J (35 ft-lb) @ –51 deg C (-60 deg F).
- Excellent bead shape and profile.
Metalshield® MC®–80Ni1 is available in standard diameters of .045 in., .052 in., and 1/16 in. and packaged in 500 lb. Accu-Trak® drums and 33 lb. plastic spools.
Lincoln also added two mild steel FCAW-G products to the UltraCore® portfolio – UltraCore® HD-12C and UltraCore® HD-12M. These E71T-12C-JH8 and E71T-12M-JH8 flux-cored wires are designed to provide the all-position, high deposition rates and low-temperature-impact toughness required in many heavy fabrication applications. Key features include:
- High Deposition Rates – Increase weld deposition to more than 14 lb/hr out-of position.
- Fast-Freezing Slag – Results in a flat bead shape and enhanced productivity in all positions.
- Wide Operating Range – Operators can set the machine on a single setting and weld in all positions.
- Low-Temperature-Impact Toughness – Capable of exceeding 40 J (30 ft-lb) at –40 deg F (-40 deg C).
- UltraCore® HD-12C wires are optimized for use with 100 percent CO2 and UltraCore® HD-12M wires use a mix of 75–80 percent Ar/balance CO2. These products feature premium arc performance and a fast-freezing slag.
The Lincoln Electric Company, 22801 Saint Clair Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44117–1199, 888−935−3876, Fax: 216−383−2699, www.lincolnelectric.com.
VERSATILE, RUGGED WELDER IS IDEAL FOR REMOTE JOB SITES
ESAB Welding & Cutting Products (Florence, SC) showcases the Warrior™, a multi-process welding machine designed for GMAW (MIG/MAG), FCAW (flux-cored), SMAW (stick), and GTAW (TIG) welding, as well as arc gouging. It delivers up to 500 amps at 60 percent duty cycle in a highly reliable, rugged package. This unique welding machine welds .030 in – 5/64 in flux-cored and solid wires, has a full range of SMAW (stick) capabilities with outstanding basic and cellulosic performance, and carbon arc gouges up to 3/8 in diameter.
A demonstration and overview of the Warrior multi-process welding machine.
Warrior’s inverter-based design provides outstanding arc performance and energy savings in a competitively priced unit, making inverter technology affordable for every welding application. Features such as power compensation, parameter adjustment close to the operator and TrueArcVoltage™ for constant and true arc voltage all day long, considerably reduce energy consumption compared to old technology SCR power sources.
Pages: 1 2