W.F. Wells, Inc.
Providing bandsaws that handle the requirements of the metal cutting industry and more
W.F. Wells, Inc is unique in the U.S. machine tool industry in that it has continued to manufacture its products in the U.S.A. while so many others are importing what they sell. W.F. Wells, Inc provides band-saws that handle the requirements of the metal cutting industry but also non-ferrous products such as glass, ceramics, graphite, crystals and wooden products. It is this versatility that has allowed us to expand in an ever-changing market.
Mr. William F. Wells (Bill) moved to Three Rivers, Michigan in 1925 and formed Wells Manufacturing, a manufacturer of vertical meat cutting saws. In 1928, Wells Manufacturing developed the horizontal metal cutting bandsaw branded the Wells Model #4. He later introduced the Wells Model #8, which is still in production today, known as the Wellsaw Model #1016. Bill Wells sold his interest in Wells Manufacturing (now recognized as Wellsaw) and in 1948 formed W.F. Wells & Sons. The first saw model, M-9, was produced in 1949 and the company continued to produce, expand and refine their product line for the next 42 years.
In May of 1991, Mr. Robert F. Boyle, the owner of Wellsaw, purchased W.F. Wells & Sons from the Wells family. The company was renamed W.F. Wells, Inc. and has continued to grow and add to its ever expanding product line.
The Model M-9
The Model M-9 is the first bandsawing machine manufactured and marketed by William F. Wells under the name “W.F. Wells and Sons” after the present company was founded in 1948.
This Machine (the first one built of this model) was sold in 1949 for $500. After 28 years in service, it was traded in for another new machine.
The present model W-9 has evolved from this original model M-9, and remains today the only twin-post, true horizontal band-saw with hydraulic feed in the price range.
Many of the wearing parts such as bearings, vises, wheels, guides and clamps are still interchangeable. This permits fast service and field repair for all older machines still in service.
There are many reasons our customers have chosen and continue to choose us for their bandsaw needs.
- All American made with over 70 years of experience producing bandsaws. We have developed leading edge technology using new high-tech designs.
- W.F. Wells, Inc is the only manufacturer with our unique cutting force system. It is superior to others because the force is taken from the blade, not the cutting head. Accurate cutting force is a necessity in bandsawing to assure straight cuts.
- W.F. Wells, Inc has a complete bandsaw line. We also build custom machines for special applications. 75% of special machines cut exotic materials other than metal. We are a progressive company with the ability to solve customer issues and insure our standard product line has the latest available technology due to daily engineering efforts. If there is a need for a special option, we can quote, design and build it. Some special application areas include; plastics, graphite, crystal, quartz, silicon, ceramics, wood products and military ballistics to name a few.
- Components on the machines are the best available, including Vickers hydraulics and Square-D electrics. All components are UL, CSA approved and qualify for use in automotive applications. Most of these components are found in any major U.S. city resulting in local support and reduced down time.
- Our CNC bandsaw technology is engineered to give customers years of trouble free, accurate sawing. The sensor used on our saws is also approved by major CNC mill and lathe manufacturers, again showing our commitment to quality.
- We have a pricing advantage over the general market. We are more competitive in price than all European and Japanese products due to cost of manufacturing in those countries. Since 2003 the Taiwan products have been rising heavily in price closing the gap with the American product. There is little interference with selling our product against the competition and we are happy to say we continually win bids against every bandsaw manufacturer.
- W.F. Wells, Inc bandsaws hold their value. There have been many instances where owners have sold their used machine for more than they originally paid for it. Used machinery dealers favor our products due to our name recognition, readily available parts and the overall durability of our product. Also, customers buying our product typically have no problems obtaining a lease due to our reliable product name.
- Our bandsaw line has a proven track record. You can find our products in small and large companies alike. Our saws are being utilized for/by; maintenance shops, research departments, schools, military bases, naval ships and shipyards, high volume production cutting, steel service centers, fabrication shops and numerous specialty applications.
- To better serve our customers, we have made a commitment to stock our standard machines as well as parts for all models dating as far back as the 1940’s. If you need a saw now, we have it in stock.
- All outside sales personnel and end users are welcome to call the factory, or our manufactures representative direct. We will be there for all parties interested in our products.